Hello K-Type Forums Support Keyboards Infinity ErgoDox ErgoDox USB Receptacle Failure

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    #1382 |

Hi All,

We were quite concerned when we started getting reports of some USB connectors failing and as we looked in to the issue further we discovered that the short USB cable that is provided might be applying a significant amount of torque to the USB receptacle and causing the connector to fail. Currently we suggest the following:

-Use a longer cable.
    -Use a thinner cable that is not as stiff.
    -Do not twist the cable when you plug it in.

We are working to resolve this issue as soon as possible and we will keep this thread updated as we know more.

-Over Kill

• This topic was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  OverKill.
    Judson
    Participant

Can you provide specifics on the cable? I’d like to overnight a replacement before my kit arrives (tomorrow).

OverKill
    Participant
    Iaeen
    Participant

When you say that you are looking to resolve this issue, do you mean that you are going to provide replacement cables for those that already received their kits?

I haven’t had any problems with mine yet, but I wouldn’t want it to become an issue with continued use…

OverKill
    Participant

Laeen,

I am not sure yet what the solution will be at this time as that is for MD to decide. I will update when I know more though.

Austin Brister
    Participant

My keyboard o ly works if the computer is connected to the left side. If I plug the right side into the computer, the left side is completely lifeless. Is this a USB connecttor issue?

parak

To clarify, if left is main, then both sides work, but if right is main then left doesn’t work?

In that case, there may be something wrong with the USB A connector on the right side. Does the shield soldering (two pins) look fine from the bottom? Do you happen to have a multimeter to do a basic test of the voltages on the debug header of the left side when it’s plugged in to the right?

bushi
    Participant

Hi guys,
    I’ve registered here, as this seems to be the place where development/decisions re: Infinity Ergodox are being made. Please, for the issue with the cables/sockets; I strongly suggest someone looks into COILED cables. This is actually appropriate cable for this kind of aplication, if we are talking robust, lasting connection:

coiled Micro USB

regards,

OverKill
    Participant

Hi Bushi,

Thanks for your suggestion, we will look in to the coiled cables.

OverKill
    Participant

Hi Austin,

Thanks for your continued support in this endeavor! I need some more information to help you diagnose the issue if you don’t mind:

1) Pictures of the USB receptacle and of the underside of the PCB underneath the USB receptacles. We are trying to figure out if this is a solder related issue or cable related issue and we have not yet received good underside pictures to determine if the solder on the USB connectors is adequate (from our earlier problems this should have been rectified).

2) If you use the other cable that was provided (the short one) as he main one cable to plug in to the computer and the long cable to use on to the interconnect do you have the same issue?

3) Did you flash the right half or just the left? In order for the right half to be the master node it is required to be flashed as well (using the right side bin file).

Austin Brister
    Participant

You understand the issue correctly. I don’t have a multimeter, but my brother is an EE and probably does. I might be able to test this weekend. Which pin am I testing?

Austin Brister
    Participant

I tested the cable both ways. I flashed both sides. I’ll get pictures soon. Thanks for the help.

Tim
    Participant

Hi OverKill – I haven’t assembled mine yet, so this may be a dumb suggestion, but would it help to put some kind of backing on the connector so it doesn’t have as much room to flex? I’m thinking one or two layers of electrical tape or something similar. I don’t know how much room there is to work with, I’m just wondering if it might help restrain the connector to keep it from torquing and breaking the solder joints.

XrstalLens
    Participant

FYI, I’m seeing flakiness in the secondary keyboard (the one that is jumpered to the main keyboard) as well. However, when I use the long cable as the jumper it seems to be better (I haven’t yet done more thorough testing), so it would appear to be an issue with the cable not the connector for me. I’ve ordered the Monoprice Ultra Slim cables and will see if that improves things.

silver2k
    Participant

Hello, Thank you for your engagement on this issue. I have taken pictures of mine. The port on my left keyboard broke off during normal use right after setup. Here is a picture of the connector and board. I would greatly appreciate assistance on this — I really really want to use this keyboard, and you can’t really order these anywhere. The keyboard is great otherwise, just this connector issue 🙁

Connector image

board image

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.