Hello K-Type Forums Support Keyboards Infinity ErgoDox ErgoDox USB Receptacle Failure

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Oy vey. I have a broken micro USB connector too.

I made myself a normal USB male-to-male cable, trying to see if I could plug the broken half either independently or in the other half with the normal USB port. The keyboard lights up and I can enable debug mode but that’s pretty much all it does. Plugging it either directly in a computer or in the other half won’t make it send anything, I can’t even detect the DFU bootloader in zadig’s USB driver thing. Something tells me its not made to communicate while plugged in this way.

silver2k
    Participant

I’m getting a little worried at the lack of response from IC or Massdrop for those of us that have broken off PCB usb micro connectors. Should we attempt to repair ourselves? Will it still be covered by warranty?

I know they might be discussing how to handle this together, but at least let us know that they are working out the details and a timeframe for when information can be shared.

This is a really great keyboard and kit, and I really want mine to be able to use mine. I completely understand how something like this can happen on a first of a kind kit like this. The issue is not what is important, being responsive and communicative on the issue is what is important.

Dencio
    Participant

I believe I was the first one to have the issue and just received my replacement pcb yesterday. I still need to desolder and remove the switches from the old board but MD has been relatively quick with the replacement response.

But I’m not waiting for the workaround regarding the cables though. I and had ordered a pair from Amazon and I’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0O14I6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Austin Brister
    Participant

Repinging….

kevin349
    Participant

I too lost my USB 3.0 connector on one side. It became loose a few days ago, and I contacted MD support but nothing other than automated response. Then while it was loose, it would only work when the cable was in a certain position. Then tonight while disconnecting the cable it came with. Now I’m out one half. I really don’t want to desolder all the switches and try to fix it myself as trying to desolder 3 switches took 20 minutes…

OverKill
    Participant

Hi All,

We have looked in to the USB receptacle issue and we feel that we are looking at a much smaller issue overall than previously thought. In total we currently have 5-7 total issues over all the current shipped units (500).

Unfortunately this issue wasn’t caught as none of our beta units had the issue.

Input Club is working with Massdrop to try and resolve any further problems.

-Over Kill

silver2k
    Participant

Thank you for the response and info. I desoldered my switches to see if I could put the port back on the pcb. Regrettably it pulled one of the traces with it so likely this will need a new pcb.

mirithil
    Participant

Is there a place that sells coiled cables that could work to reduce the torque? I could only find right angle cables, but they are too short anyway.

Walms
    Participant

Having used a lot of epoxy, I am not having an problems with the usb port. I have not been super gentle with them, yet they are holding just fine.

Dencio
    Participant

Typing on my keyboard now. No issues with the new board. It’s working properly so far but I haven’t finished it yet, I’m missing a few screws so it’s partially loose. I do have an issue still. If I tighten the screws by the lcd, the backlight color changes. I might have to sand the case back to relieve the lcd.

redKlyde
    Participant

@dencio Glad you got a replacement! I have not even received an acknowledgement of my problem 🙁

What can I do right now? Do I wait on Massdrop to respond?

redKlyde
    Participant

Just got a response from IC! Thank you so much!

Apparently, I have to wait for MD :/ … and so I wait.

Dencio
    Participant

@redklyde Yeah, the response has been decent even though my request for posts got messed up. I only received screws and they’re resending the parts that I’m missing.

silver2k
    Participant

Good news, massdrop shipped a replacement board! So they took care of the issue.

Regrettably I had to desolder the existing board to return it and move the switches, but it will be worth it in the end. Thank you.

Qudeid
    Participant

Bad news here, got my kit yesterday and already killed one plug, even with epoxy reinforcing it. I’ve already contacted MD-Support, but this is really unfortunate 🙁

@silver2k: You had to send the existing board back to MD? Hope I don’t have to, international (EU → USA) shipping won’t really be worth the effort and money, really.

The bigger question is if you get a PCB that potentially suffers from the same weakness. :S

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.